Lithuanian First Impressions


In March of this year, I learned that the Lithuanian-American Foundation (Lietuviu Bendruomene) was organizing an internship program for College Students and recent graduates in Lithuania. The program would essentially find students an internship in their chosen field, and provide a small stipend as well as a place to stay.

I flew to Lithuania on June 30. I was eager to begin my internship at the Ministry of Justice, but was also thrilled to fly to Lithuania the summer that Vilnius was designated the "European Capital of 2009". I experienced the festivities and cultural celebrations the first weekend of my trip, and am now thrilled to stay to learn and gain new work related experiences.

I began working at "Lietuvos Respublikos teisingumo ministerija" Ministry of Justice two weeks ago. I wrote about my first day of the internship in a journal entry:

"From the outside, the Ministry of Justice looked fairly sinple. Entering through the ancient wooden "church doors" my eyes met a giant wall of modern sliding glass, and past the wall two skeptical neatly dressed security guards. Thrown off a bit by the grim look on their faces, they asked "Who do you need to see", and and after a partially confusing moment, I was sent up to the third floor.

The building in general was to my surprise very beautifully renovated with no remnants of the 50 years of Soviet Rule. The walls and windows were no longer the grey that I had seen in so many older buildings, instead tastefully minimalistically decorated as you would see in Scandinavian or Western Countries.

I finally met with my director,Klaidas Navickas, and was relieved to find him to be a very approachable intersting person. We talked in general terms about our expectations and about what I would be doing during my time in his care. As we talked I noticed the screen-saver on his computer flashed images of men fishing and proudly holding giant 50 pound fish for the camera. I learned he had recently taken a trip to California, and seemed to really enjoy the outdoors.

Klaidas then walked me to my new "Kabinetas" or office where a computer and chair sat waiting for me. In this office, there were already three other young ladies working at their desks. I learned from the girls that Klaidas is not only a fisherman, but a well-known folk artist. Using paper, scissors, and small blades, he creates elaborate hand cut intricate works of art. The cut lines and symmetry are astounding, and I really feel honored to be working with such an artist."

No comments:

Post a Comment